The historic 1770 Quaker Meetinghouse at the corner of Quaker Highway and Aldrich Street in Uxbridge will hold a series of Open Houses this summer. “Many people have commented that the meetinghouse seems to have new life as a result of our cleanup efforts last fall”, noted Ellen Perry, President of the Quaker Meeting House Association. “We hope that our summer events will highlight the wealth of local history that is associated with this building.”
Monthly Open Houses, each with a featured presentation or historic demonstration, are planned for June through September. The first event will be held on Sunday, June 11 from 2 to 4 P.M. Visitors will be treated to a tour of the brick meetinghouse and a demonstration of traditional weaving by local craftsperson, Ruth Bandstra. Members of the Meeting House Association will be on hand to answer questions and to serve simple refreshments.
The Uxbridge meetinghouse is one of the last crude brick structures remaining in America and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. It was built on the farm of Moses Farnum whose house still stands on the opposite corner of Aldrich Street. It was made from bricks fired in a brickyard across the road. The interior retains separate entrances and meeting spaces for men and women, typical of historic Quaker meetinghouses. Huge hand hewn beams are best appreciated from the second floor balcony which overlooks the partitioned main floor.
Plan a visit to this local treasure for the summer Open House series and enjoy a variety of crafts as well as musical and historical presentations. There will be three Open Houses during the season in addition to the June event. On July 9 enjoy a program about 18th century architecture. Visit on August 13 for a demonstration of traditional beekeeping. On September 10 spend a relaxing afternoon accompanied by a talented local musician. All Open Houses will be held from 2 – 4 P.M.