WHITINSVILLE – It's time to start training for the WCC Half Marathon, a new event organized by the Whitin Community Center, which will take place on Sunday, April 6. Not ready to do a half marathon?
There are options for a 7K, family 5K walk, and a group relay.
“This event is mainly a fundraiser for the WCC, but it's also a way to get the community active,” said Megan Rogozenski, WCC Aerobics Coordinator. More than 100 people have registered so far, she said.
In conjunction with the race, the Whitin Community Center is offering a 12-week all-inclusive training program on Wednesday evenings from 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
The weekly, progressive training plan helps individuals to safely and effectively ramp up the mileage to complete the Half Marathon. The program includes seven educational and instructional clinics, as well as weekly group “long” runs on Saturday morning at 8:30 a.m., leaving from the WCC.
There are three training program cost options:
- $25 for program plus $250 fundraising commitment for the WCC.
- $100 for the program, no fundraising commitment
- $15 drop-in rate per clinic ($10 for WCC or MRA Multisport members.)
The training program kickoff took place on January 8. remaining dates are as follows:
- Jan. 15 - Natural Running clinic by Newton Running and hosted at Miles To Go Sports in Sutton
- Jan. 29 - Trigger Point Performance Rolling by Steve Dozois of Dozois Bodyworks Massage Therapy
- Feb. 12 - Nutrition for Runners and Race Day Strategies
- Feb. 26 - Yoga for Runners I: flexibility and breathing
- March 12 - Strength Training for runners
- March 26 - Yoga for Runners II: pre-race/taper stretching and muscle relaxation
Runners may attend any or all of the clinics. Contact Megan Rogozenski, WCC Aerobics Coordinator at [email protected] for complete information on the event and training program.