Skip to main content

Tales from Beyond

The Jacob Whittemore House

By Thomas D’Agostino from Haunted Massachusetts

I am surprised the spectral encounters at Minute Man National Historical Park are not reported as much as one may have expected. From the day of April 19, 1775, to now, a stretch of thoroughfare from Concord to Lexington known as Battle Road has become an indelible mark in the forging of America’s independence. So powerful is the events that took place that fateful spring day... Read More

The Ghost of the Biddeford Theatre

By Thomas D’Agostino

The City Theater in Biddeford, Maine, is very easy to find as it sits in the middle of the downtown area. The opera house was built around 1860 and hosted many famous names of the times. In 1894 the building burned to the ground but was rebuilt, and by January 1896 shows were once again held in the house. Many people have come and gone over the decades but one person still graces the stage of her last... Read More

The Eternal Patrons of Brown and Hopkins

By Thomas D’Agostino

Chepachet, Rhode Island, is known for its preserved beauty and rustic charm.  Historic taverns, homes and businesses lace both sides of Route 44, beckoning the curious to inspect what time and progress has failed to spoil. Along with these old structures are many remnants of the past; many of them ghosts still lingering among the antiquated walls of these edifices.

One such place is Brown and Ho... Read More

Warren Gibbs of Pelham, Massachusetts

By Thomas D’Agostino from A Guide To Haunted New England.

This is one of those stories you have to read to believe. But it is not only set in paper, but in stone as well. The story of Warren Gibbs is just one of the many strange tales of the Quabbin Reservoir region.

In early spring 1860, Warren Gibbs became suddenly ill. Neighbors attempted to assist in his return to health by bringing him cider to quench the stran... Read More

The Old Wedderburn Mansion

By Thomas D’Agostino from “Haunted Rhode Island”

Some legends come from a time or place that cannot be traced. In Narragansett, Rhode Island, sits the remains of an old estate that at one time revealed wealth. Some have attributed this next story to that relic but the actual location of this story, if at all true, remains a mystery.

Japheth Wedderburn was a successful merchant who lived in a four-story mansion by th... Read More

East Meets West Fair promotes healthy living

By Janet Stoica

More than 60 vendors and several hundred visitors attended the 8th Annual East Meets West Health Fair and Business Bonanza held at the Bartlett High School gymnasium on Sunday, April 12. The Red Cross collected 25 quarts of blood and Dr. Dmitry Levenson of the Reliant Medical Group in Webster was the featured speaker.

Life Skills, Inc. and Page Chiropractic planned and presented the event, a fundrais... Read More

Makens Bemont House

By Thomas D’Agostino

The Makens Bemont House, also known as the Huguenot House, is nestled among two other historic buildings owned by the Historical Society of East Hartford in Martin Park. It is bounded on one side by the Burnham Blacksmith Shop (c. 1850) and flanked on the other side by the one room Goodwin Schoolhouse (c. 1820). Of the three structures, the Bemont dwelling is the one of particular interest.

Edmo... Read More

The Haunted Carousel at Crescent Park

By Thomas D'Agostino from the book Haunted Rhode Island.

The music of an old fashioned carousel conjures up visions of laughing children, the smell of cotton candy, and all the other revelry that gives amusement parks that certain timeless wonder. In the case of the Looff Carousel on the old Crescent Park fairgrounds, when the carousel stops the phantom laughter and music of yesteryear continue to fill the air... Read More

The Crown and Eagle Mill

by Thomas D’Agostino

The town of Uxbridge was incorporated on June 27, 1727. It was primarily an agricultural community, but the bountiful waters of the Blackstone River proved too fruitful to waste. Large mills began to pop up along the river and before anyone knew, Uxbridge was a manufacturing hub between the cities of Providence, Rhode Island, and Worcester, Massachusetts.

One mill of significant importance was t... Read More

The Phantom Dog of Fort Wetherill

by Thomas D’Agostino from Haunted Rhode Island

A demon dog is known to wander among the ruins of Fort Wetherill in Jamestown, Rhode Island. Witnesses have seen the wraith approaching them with its glowing red eyes and white fangs protruding from its gaping mouth. Whether or not those who have gazed upon the creature have met with an untimely death has not been ascertained. The origin of the dog is not clear as wel... Read More

Pages